Saturday, October 13, 2012

Kindermarkt

Germans have this great thing called Kindermarkts.  They are basically yard sales for children's items.  In the spring and fall, almost all towns host a Kindermarkt.  They usually take place in a church (or anyplace with a lot of open space) and you can call ahead and reserve a table for anywhere from 6 - 10 Euro.  On the day of the Kindermarkt, the sellers show up an hour before start time, find their designated table (provided), and start setting up their items for sale.  And then the mad rush begins and lasts for two hours. 

Today Silke and I participated in a Kindermarkt in the nearby town of Weisloch.  I am so happy that Silke agrees to allow me to tag along because I would never know where and when the Kindermarkts occur if it weren't for her!  This is actually the second Kindermarkt that Silke and I have done together.  She is always the one to find out the logistics and then call to reserve our tables.  We did our first Kindermarkt together earlier this year and were VERY successful.  I made 200 Euro in two hours.  I was so excited!  So we decided to try it again today and unfortunately had a much different experience.  There were basically too many sellers and not enough people buying.  Most of the time we just stood around.  And the people who were buying were trying to get it for nothing (much like in the U.S.!).  I walked away with 47 Euro which, I guess, is better than nothing.  However, it was so depressing packing up all my merchandise at the end of the day.  Oh well, until next time!


Silke works her table.

My table.  Will I ever get rid of all of this stuff??

The competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment