Ever since my girls were born, people have asked me "when are you going to get their ears pierced?". To which I have always replied "when they ask". About 9 months ago, Leena asked if it hurt to get your ears pierced. I did not sugar coat it. I told her that it hurt for just a second and then it was over. Kind of like getting a shot. She thought about that for a few seconds and then responded "I don't think I want to get my ears pierced". Then, at the beginning of last week, Leena came home from school and told me that she was ready to get her ears pierced. I reminded her what I had told her in the past and she said that she was ready. I added that having your ears pierced means being responsible for keeping your ears and earrings clean. She convinced me that she was up for the challenge. I asked her what changed her mind and she said "I saw a KINDERGARTNER with her ears pierced!". Well, we can't have that! Just to be fair, I asked Taryn if she would also like to have her ears pierced and she replied "uh, no way!". So, today was a teacher planning day at school, so Leena, Taryn and I set out on a German ear piercing adventure. When I first got to Heidelberg, I took a culture class and at the end of the class, we got to go on a field trip around Heidelberg. While we were on the field trip, I discovered that there was a Claire's Boutique in downtown Heidelberg. Go figure! Now, I needed to figure out how to get there as Claire's is located on the pedestrian only part of downtown. I punched the address in my GPS anyway, hoping to get close and get lucky on a parking spot. After some careful maneuvering through the narrow streets of downtown (including a 180 degree turn around in an alley) in what Greg calls the "Hummer of Europe", I found a parking garage. I have been intimidated by the European parking garages because I have heard horror stories from other Americans about getting their American sized vehicles stuck or damaged. I decided to chance it and down I went into the garage. The top of my car cleared by 1/8 of an inch and I found a standard "smart car" size parking spot and was able to shimmy my way out of the car. I would have to figure out how to get my car out of the garage later. The girls and I were then able to find our way to Claire's. Once in the store, I was relieved that the employees spoke English. So, I told the two ladies behind the counter that we were there to get Leena's ears pierced. They looked at each other and had a small conversation in German. So rude! I can't wait for some of my German lessons to sink in! Finally, one of the girls looked at me and said "uh, we don't like piercing kids ears". Really? There was no way I was going home now! So, I pointed at Leena and told the woman "this is her idea". They warmed up after that and explained that a lot of times the parents make the kids get their ears pierced. Leena was being really quiet in the store, but was happy to pick out what would be her first earrings. After that, she took her seat, folded her hands in her lap, and looked down while waiting for the woman to get everything ready. The woman then asked Leena if she wanted to know when she was going to punch the hole or if she wanted the woman to just do it. Leena replied that "she just wanted the woman to do it". A few seconds later, this was the scene....
And then it was done! However, Leena was looking a little white, so I went over to her and asked if she was okay. She only nodded yes. She was not crying, but I could tell that she was on the verge. I grabbed her hands and told her that she did not need to do the other ear if she did not want to. She nodded again to indicate that she did want the other ear pierced. Then, I told her that it was okay to cry. She only nodded again, but no tears. Then, I turned to the woman and mouthed "let's hurry up". And bam! The other ear was done. I was so relieved that it was over! Leena was still looking pale, but did brighten up a little when she got to see the final product. A few minutes later, she was walking around the store saying, "that didn't really hurt. I don't know why you said that would hurt". Yeah, okay tough guy!
No comments:
Post a Comment